Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Dear Al Gore,

Dear Al Gore,

The book "50 Simple Things Kids can do to Save the Earth" changed my life. I read it over and over and over when I was about 8 years old, and preached its fundamentals to my family and friends, even though they didn't listen. I am now 25 years old and married to a wonderful husband who has told me that if we were in the 1960's/70's, he would totally be a hippie with me. Truly, we are soul mates.

Although I haven't seen "An Inconvenient Truth" and don't really plan to (sorry), I just wanted to thank you for bringing back the environmentally-conscious movement to the forefront. I am thrilled that it is again popular to hug trees and yell at people for crushing styrofoam cups ("Do you know how many CFC's you're emitting into the air???? The hole in the ozone just got bigger because of you!!!). So here are some things that Josh and I have done to reduce our impact on the environment. It saves us a bunch of money, too:

*We only have one car (much less money spent on gas, and fewer harmful chemicals into the air)
*Josh rides a bike to work (again, saving us money on gas, and saving the earth from harmful chemicals)
*We have those squiggly-looking light bulbs (our power bills are ridiculously low, and they use much less energy than regular light bulbs.
*No more cable TV (the TV is not on nearly as much as it used to be, saving energy. Also, we sit on our butts less. That HAS to be good for the environment)
*We use our Brita Pitcher instead of buying bottled water (no more empty water bottles all over the house that end up in the trash!)

Those are only a few of the many examples of how we are "going green." We are always looking for new ways to improve our green-living skills. Thanks to you, Mr. Gore, we are now more popular than ever, and consider ourselves "the cool kids" in the apartment complex, especially in our '95 Ford Taurus with duct tape on the bumper.

--Rachel B.

1 comment:

thatoneguy said...

Hey sweetheart, great letter to guy who "used to be the next president of the United States of America." Too bad you didn't get a chance to watch An Inconvenient Truth. It was pretty good (at least the half that I saw). Anyways, I really like reading what you write. Keep it up, and hopefully you'll have more to say about being a SAHM soon enough. I love you.

Josh
www.joshboldman.com