Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The last few days...

The last few days have been interesting.

My very first Mother's Day was great! Josh and I broke all of the rules and took Zeke to church! It was good to be there, finally out of the house, with friends. Everyone thought Zeke was SO CUTE (duh, he IS!) and were very impressed with how alert he was (until he zonked out--thanks, Pastor Biz!). After church we all did our share of napping, and we went to my parents' house for dinner.

Yesterday was a VERY rough day. Zeke was extremely fussy and would not stop crying for most of the day. He didn't get any of his naps except for a really long one at 12:30 (I think; it all runs together). In the morning, Josh actually came home from work to help me. Not only was the baby hysterical, but I was too. There's nothing like feeling COMPLETELY powerless to help your child. I HATE that feeling. When Josh got home for real at 9:15 p.m., the baby was still inconsolable. He gave me a break and was able to hold him for a little while. He finally calmed down after about 20 minutes of screaming in his crib (another thing I HATE--letting him cry), with the thought that I would get to sleep until his 11:30 feeding. Well, he didn't quite make it to 11:30 and Josh woke me up at 11:00. We decided to give him a bottle of pumped milk while I pumped. At this point, Josh and I have realized that the poor child has an insane amount of gas coming out of both ends. So I think back through what I've eaten over the past day or so and come to the conclusion that I need to cut out some dairy. You see, at my parents' house I ate ice cream, and then had cereal with milk for breakfast. Now that may not seem significant to you, but LAST week I ate ice cream at my parents' house, too....and Zeke had a bad Monday last week as well. SO I dumped the milk I pumped, and resolved to begin using soy milk with my cereal and watching the amounts of other dairy I eat. The idea came from my best friend Kim, whose baby (3 weeks older than Zeke) is extremely colicky--she stopped dairy last week and today she told me Abby has been doing MUCH better.

So today, Zeke has been a perfect angel. Last night, after taking his bottle, he woke up at 4:45 a.m. to eat again (He slept almost 5 hours!), and did just fine. All day he has been going down for his naps without any fuss (except for his first morning nap, but he calmed down SO fast!) and eating OKAY, although he hasn't been eating much at each feeding. ANYWAY, we're a little bit off of our routine today, but he's sleeping right now and is very peaceful. We've enjoyed each other's company. I think that's a fair trade-off.

Now I'm going to try to get a little bit of rest before feeding him again.

--Rachel

No comments: