Tuesday, May 27, 2008

WOW

So...wow. I guess there's a lot to catch up on here in the old bloggity blog. As you can imagine, life with a one-month-old (yes, he is one month old--actually just over 5 weeks to be exact!) is everything you think it is: namely, very busy and pretty exhausting. Right now it is just about 9:00 a.m. and I have already been mostly awake since 5:00 a.m. Zeke is amazing! He only wakes up once overnight, between 3:30 and 4:30 a.m. We don't have an ENTIRELY stable "routine" yet, because of his variable wake-up times overnight, but our day usually starts between 6:30 and 7:30 a.m. Today he was already waking up when I went in to wake him up to eat, and so far, he has been all smiles. He fell asleep in the stroller when we took a walk around the neighborhood and went straight to bed when we got home without a fuss. Yesterday however, was a different story. Here's the background:

I am fairly certain that my son gets a pretty serious case of "the Mondays" every week. We had a CRAZY weekend this week, with Josh's mom coming down to Tampa from Alabama on Saturday to look at apartments, since his parents expect to move down within the next 30-60 days! Saturday was ridiculously crazy and exhausting. It also consisted of such fun as nursing in the car a few times and giving a bottle at lunch without being able to pump before or after! It was a great day even though it was tiring, and I was happy just to be spending time with my little family!

Going back to Friday night, Josh and I went on our first date without the baby! We're EXTREMELY proud of ourselves, since some people don't get out for MONTHS after a baby is born. We went out for dinner and a movie, and I only called my mom to check on Zeke once! He was very well-behaved at Grandma's house, but was a little out-of-sorts when he came back home.

So you can see, after a strange Friday and Saturday, why our little guy would be tuckered out on Sunday. He would barely wake up from his naps to eat, and by the time we got to the Chicken BarBQue at my parents' church, he was down for the count with a 3 hour nap.

Zeke's case of the "Mondays" started as soon as he woke up...and he stayed awake crying for most of the day. The poor little guy just couldn't settle down for anything. I remained calm while he was crying, but I just felt SO BAD! Not knowing what he wanted (which, in reality was probably nothing but the very thing he was fighting off--sleep) was very frustrating. By the time evening and late night rolled around, he was much better. It was such an exhausting day; trying to figure out what he wanted and how I could soothe him made time go by extremely quickly. Anyway, I am glad that today is a new day and we get to start over. My sweet little sleepyhead is sound asleep in his crib. Everytime I think he's making noise I realize it's just one of our nasty apartment cats outside. :)

In other news, I officially resigned my position as Family Case Manager at Kids Hope United. All I have to do is put it in writing. I am sad to leave a job that has given me such great experience and has incredible flexibility and variety, but God is clearly leading us to have me stay at home with our little guy. It will be difficult, but we will be trusting God to provide when we have no idea where finances will come from.

Okay, well I guess that's the update! Time for me to try to get a little bit of rest before I feed Zeke again!

No comments: