Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Be Strong and Courageous (Subtitle: Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes)

Did I get the right amount of "ch's" in there? I can't seem to remember how many there really are in that song--I LOVE that song! And I don't even know what it means to "turn and face the strain" if that's even what the guy is saying. Anyway............

It's no secret to anyone who knows me or my husband that he is definitely called to church planting. One of the coolest things about our interview process at Westside Community Church was when one of the search committee said, "Now, we're looking for someone who wants to serve here as youth and worship pastor, but also someone who wants to plant." I remember hearing that and smiling SO BIG and looking at my husband like, "That's us! That's us!" I cannot honestly tell you that church planting is MY specific calling, BUT I am DEFINITELY called to follow and support my husband in ministry. Another question during the interview process at Westside, posed by a congregation member during our dessert fellowship question and answer time, was "Do you feel called to be a pastor's wife?" And after telling a story about how a friend of mine definitely felt that call and did not marry a pastor and I had told her "no way I'm ever marrying a pastor" and did, I said, "I don't feel called to be a pastor's wife, but I am called to be Josh's wife." So that means I get to do and be all the things that go along with him and his calling.

However, I'm not as bold as Josh BOLDman. I wasn't born with that name, I married into it. So I married into the bold-ness too. Being married to Josh, the amazing man who is called to church planting, means that unlike other young married women with little babies, I have no idea where we will be in 5 years. I am unable, at this time, to put down "roots." Because of this, I can't have a backyard, I can't put in new cabinets, or plant flowers. Oh, and even though I hate it, I'm going to have to eventually move. There's a part of me that's absolutely terrified of the possibility of leaving my family behind, losing my free babysitting (thanks mom and dad!) and the connection my baby son has with his extended family. Again, I am not as bold as Josh Boldman. But I am starting to find my calling and my own ministry (that's a whole different post), and I'm becoming more courageous. I just started a bible study called "Living Fearlessly: A Study in the Book of Joshua" and it's fabulous so far. God is calling me to be courageous, no matter what, because HE is with me (and Josh) wherever we go. He is calling me to turn to HIM when I am afraid and read HIS word for strength and guidance. In my translation (New Living Translation) God tells Joshua to be courageous 3 times in the first chapter, and the fourth time he is told to be courageous, it is by his own army, as the Lord worked in them to cultivate respect and honor for their leader. I can just imagine the Lord telling Joshua what he needs to do ("Be strong and courageous") and Joshua saying, "But, But God, I just..." and the Lord saying "HAVE I NOT COMMANDED YOU??? BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS, AND THAT'S AN ORDER, YOU WIMP!" I added that last part about Joshua being a wimp. He may or may not have been. You decide.

So I guess I've written all of this to say: I may not be specifically called to church planting MYSELF, but I'm called to follow my husband, who IS called to church planting. And even though I'm afraid of ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes (I think I got all the "ch's" in there), the Lord is with me and is calling me to rise above my fear for Him. I am loving this study in Joshua, and can tell that God led me specifically to it. If you want to pick it up and go through it with me, it's available at Family Christian. I'm going to try to link to it in this post.

No comments: