Thursday, July 10, 2008

UPDATE

Obviously, my efforts to once again participate in NaBloPoMo have failed on an epic scale! So here is the update from the Boldman household!

Zeke is fabulous. I mean really, REALLY fabulous. He is an incredibly sweet, content little (and by little, I mean absolutely enormous) baby. He smiles and laughs regularly and thinks we are just the funniest people he's ever seen in his life. He also loves his extended family: grandma, grandpa, and all the rest. You can see some semi-recent pictures of him at my picasa site. He has been sleeping through the night since he was 9 weeks old--so that's three solid weeks that he has slept at least 9 hours at night. People say that we're "so lucky" to have such a good baby and that his behavior is "not typical," but we know the truth. We started from day one with clear heads and hearts and a desire to parent in a certain way. Our main ideas came from the book, "On Becoming Babywise" by Ezzo and Bucknam. Don't plug the name of the book into Google or else you will come across some VERY negative criticism of the book. All I'm going to say about that is this: if you follow ANY parenting philosophy/method to the letter, you WILL receive negative results. Going to the extreme is never a good thing, in my opinion. So with that said, I can tell you that Zeke has been following the "flexible routine" outlined in the book since birth. He has steadily gained weight (LOTS of weight!) and grown above and beyond the 95th percentile for his age. He is a sweet baby and is an absolute joy for me and others to be around. Once I got past the stress of hearing the negative criticism of the book, I was able to relax and follow Zeke's lead on how his routine would work for us. With a little bit of parental guidance, it has come along quite nicely! And how did I get over the negative criticism? I took the advice of a dear friend when she said, "Don't read it!"

We are doing very well here in good ole' Apopka/Altamonte. Staying at home with Zeke is DEFINITELY the right path for me, as I've told you all before.

I swear, I'm trying to do better with the posting every day thing. Be patient with me! I have lots of laundry to do!!

More to come....
Rachel

No comments: