Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Adventures in Homemaking

My occupation, officially at least, is "homemaker." On most days, I don't feel much like one. It's not that I don't enjoy all of the homemaking activities, because I do. I really really really do. It's just that a) it's a lot of work and b) it's hard to home-make in a 2 bedroom apartment. There's a lot I could clean around here, but there is practically no room to run the vacuum or dust, or whatever. I'd love to sew curtains and such, but I don't have a sewing machine. So I guess I'm just low on resources at the moment. Monica over at "The Homespun Heart" has issued a challenge of sorts, to work on "Making Your Home a Haven" this week. Each day she has posted a new idea that goes into making the home a peaceful, inviting place. The first two days were exactly what I needed--tidy and clean! I'm not exactly going through day by day and completing each concept on the day it's assigned...I'm just working on what I can, with what I have.

The first thing she suggests we do each day is pray and spend time with the Lord. So far, I have been successful with that...and because of that one triumph, I consider the whole thing a victory! Yesterday I worked on both "tidy" AND "clean" because I didn't get much done with "tidy" on Monday. So I went around our little living room and dining room, picking up papers and throwing things away. I felt quite accomplished! I haven't mentioned anything about this challenge to Josh, so imagine my surprise when he came home yesterday after I had tidied and cleaned up and said, "After dinner, why don't we spend a little time cleaning this place up?!" Well, first of all I was honored that he would offer to help me clean because he knows how important it is to me, even though it is neither of our favorite things to do. Second...I thought I had already cleaned!!!! He had no idea that I had spent time that very day cleaning up--so he didn't mean anything by it--he was just being his sweet self. I agreed that there were more things around the house that could use tidying and cleaning...so we set about our tasks. The apartment looks GREAT! We were able to clean more junk off of the coffee table and dining room table, I swiffered (or is it swiffed?) the floor and then swiffed/swiffered it with a wet cloth. Squeaky clean! I am so blessed to have such a thoughtful husband. I thank the Lord that He gave Josh the desire to help me out yesterday. I don't think it was a coincidence that he wanted to clean on the same day I was trying to make our home a "haven!"

Today's theme was "cared for" and since there's not much to care for in the apartment that we didn't clean yesterday, I thought I would show Josh that I care for him--with food! I made banana bread this morning, and Zeke helped by chewing on a small bowl and babbling in his high chair while I worked. The bread is pretty good, especially since it's my first time making it!

Well, I hope your days have been as blessed and filled with love as mine have been--not that they haven't had their challenges. But the good far outweighs the bad!

Rachel

2 comments:

•°Meg°• said...

I'm a new stay at home mommy as well given our children are 1 and 3. Living on 1 income is definetly tough

Rachel Boldman said...

Yeah, sometimes "tough" doesn't begin to describe it! BUT...the benefits are worth it!