Sunday, November 9, 2008

Frugal Mama Adventure #2

COOKING WITH WHATEVER THE HECK YOU HAVE IN THE PANTRY

Disclaimer: I don't actually have a pantry.

Yesterday, Josh and I had "the talk." You know the one I'm talking about--the one where you "discuss" the upcoming holidays and the strategy for buying gifts AND feeding the family at the same time. I'll write more on our discussion and the results in a later post. Basically, our talk got me thinking about what I was going to cook for dinner. I had chicken defrosting in the refrigerator and was planning to make my usual chicken-in-the-oven-with-basil-on-top dinner. But then the need to be creative struck me out of nowhere! So I looked at what I had on hand....TONS of random stuff! So I started with a can of creamed corn. Okay, I thought, I could bake the chicken in the creamed corn. Awesome! Then, I found a can of 98% fat free cream of celery soup. Okay, mix the corn and the soup together and voila...casserole!!! But that sounded a little bit thin. RICE! I have rice! Alrighty, throw some rice in there. I've got a big baking dish to fill up, so we need something else. BEANS! Great white northern beans--I've been saving them for White Chicken Chili, but they'll work for this, too! And Josh loves biscuits, so why not plop some bisquick on top and make like a dumpling-type thing? Sounds great! Now, how to make this all quickly enough so the chicken cooks and the biscuits bake but don't burn? Cook the chicken first! By this point, I was feeling like a stinkin' genious! So here is the recipe...there really aren't many specific measurements. Keep in mind that I was throwing things together.

Ingredients:
2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
cumin
salt and pepper
olive oil
1 can creamed corn
1 can cream of celery soup (cream of anything will probably work, as well as a combination of creamed soups)
1 can great white northern beans
1 to 1.5 cups of brown rice
Bisquick mix, prepared as if you were making biscuits

Directions:
Cut the chicken into cubes, season with salt, pepper and cumin, and cook in a little bit of olive oil in a skillet, until cooked through.

Mix together the creamed corn, cream of celery soup, beans, and rice. Once chicken is cooked, add it to the mixture. Pour into a 9x13 (or whatever size you have) baking or casserole dish. Drop the biscuit dough on top of the casserole by large tablespoon-fulls. If you are using a smaller baking dish, the biscuits will probably cover the top--even better! Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown.

Voila!!! There you have it--cheap and easy dinner. And we have a little bit left over, too!

I'm pretty proud of my second frugal mama adventure--I can't wait to tell you about the Christmas present ideas I found thanks to a friend's guidance :)

Right now I'm relaxing at home on this gorgeous Sunday morning, I've already taken Josh to church, and plan to join him for 11:00 service--he is preaching today!

Have a great Sunday! Remember to thank the Lord for all he's given you!

And check out this recipe swap!

No comments: