Wednesday, December 24, 2008

You're a mean one, Mrs. Boldman

The day of our Lord and Savior's birth (or at least the day we CELEBRATE it) is upon us, and I am feeling more than a little bit Grinchy. This should be my best Christmas so far, because it is my precious baby's first one. I certainly started the season off in the Christmas spirit, even going so far as to finish my Christmas shopping early. But to be quite honest with you, the pressure of the holiday season is really getting to me. Why is there so much to DO? I feel the weight of the expectations of what Christmas must be as an enormous weight on my shoulders, rather than enjoying the lightness and joy of cookies, carols, and more cookies. I just want to slow down and enjoy this Christmas with MY family--Josh, Rachel, and Zeke, while still loving and enjoying both of our OTHER families. My Grinchy spirit (which is not to be confused with a Scrooge-y spirit) really bothers me. I wonder why we put so much pressure and place so much importance on the Christmas schedule, and going going GOING through the whole season, rather than slowing down and enjoying the tiny things that are going on around us. I am really enjoying watching Zeke discover his presents and learn how to open them. The look on his face when he sees his new toys is so precious. It makes me smile, just thinking about it. So that's what I'm trying to focus on--simplicity. I hate that Christmas is stressful, but that's what the world has turned it into, and I live in the world, so I have to deal with it. But for the next few hours and days, I will be attempting to live like the Savior was born for me, and has forgiven me, and loves me, even though I am a Grinch right now.



I then shall live as one who’s been forgiven;
I'll walk with joy to know my debts are paid.
I know my name is clear before my Father;
I am His child, and I am not afraid.
So greatly pardoned, Ill forgive another;
The law of love I gladly will obey.

I then shall live as one who’s learned compassion;
I’ve been so loved that I'll risk loving, too.
I know how fear builds walls instead of bridges;
I'll dare to see another’s point of view.
And when relationships demand commitment,
Then Ill be there to care and follow through.

Your kingdom come around and through and in me,
Your power and glory, let them shine through me.
Your Hallowed Name O may I bear with honor,
And may Your living Kingdom come in me.
The Bread of Life, O may I share with honor,
And may You feed a hungry world through me.

No comments: