Monday, April 13, 2009

Holy (?) Week

Yesterday was Easter. Or, Easter was Yesterday. However you want to write it, Holy Week just ended. In a non-denominational church like ours, Holy Week isn't THAT big of a deal. Easter Sunday is the main event. But in the church I used to attend, as well as the one my parents currently attend, the whole week is a big deal. There's Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Holy Saturday, and then the biggie, Easter Sunday. For more detailed information about Holy Week, check out this site. While our church may not observe each of these services, my family had a very busy week leading up to Easter. So here is Holy Week, Boldman Style:

Palm Sunday: Josh preached, which meant that the entire previous week was taken up by preparation and study for the sermon, as well as his normal duties, such as leading Youth.

Holy Week Wednesday (this only occurs in the Boldman Family Calendar): Josh led the Youth group. He actually got home early, at 9:30 pm! Woohoo!

Maundy Thursday: Worship team practice. Again, Josh got home early, around 9:00 pm! I felt like the luckiest girl in the world! Two days in a row!

Good Friday: It WAS a good Friday! Josh takes Fridays "off" so we went to the pool with Zeke! Later, we went to church for communion.

Holy Saturday: Easter Egg Hunt. Josh was at the church from about 7:30 am until 1:00 pm, and we joined him there from about 10:30 to noon. We had a blast! We then went to my niece's birthday party.

Easter Sunday: He is risen!!!! Josh was at the church by about 6:30 a.m., led worship for all three services, and got home around 1:00. We went to my aunt's house for dinner, and the Easter Bunny dropped off a basket for Zeke while we were gone. He had no clue what was going on, but I thought it was cute!

Of course, the list of things Josh did during the week is NOT limited to those on this particular list! The behind-the-scenes work that goes into a big week like Easter or Christmas is immeasurable. It was a wonderful week, and an incredible celebration of our Lord's resurrection. Many people's lives were touched, including my own. It's easy for me to get caught up in the fact that I barely saw my husband last week. But the purpose of trials and frustrations in life is to make me uncomfortable and to call me to holiness. So, while the week did not feel particularly Holy while we were enduring the long hours and stress, looking back I can see that it served to test and grow my patience; help me connect with people I normally would not; and overall, to make me more like Christ.

What does Holy Week mean to you?

4 comments:

Esmee said...

Hi, I found your blog @ twitter, and I like to read it! Keep posting!

XoXo Sanne (The Netherlands)

Rachel Boldman said...

Thanks for reading!!! Keep coming back!

Diane said...

What does it mean to me? Life!!

Rachel Boldman said...

Amen!