Sunday, December 27, 2009

Under Pressure

DUN DUN DUN DA DA DUN DUN--DA DUN DUN DUN DADA DUN DUN
Or is that Ice, Ice, Baby? I never can tell!

Guilt. Oh, the guilt. The constant feeling that you are doing the wrong thing for your child; or that one decision you've made is going to scar him/her forever. Or worse, the fear that someone is going to call your state's child services department because you lost it at Wal Mart...and THEN the guilt that you lost it at Wal Mart. You are convinced that you are a horrible mother.

Any moms out there hear me on this one? Can I get an Amen?

Here in Missouri, there seems to be a big push *no pun intended, ew!* to potty train by age 2. I've noticed this recently with a couple of my friends who are starting to potty train their little ones who are younger than Zeke. I asked a friend of mine about it, and she informed me that the culture around here favors advancing the normal "babyhood" stages like solid foods and potty training because, quite frankly, baby food and diapers are expensive.

OMG.

I'M BEHIND!!!! *Again, no pun intended, ew!*

Not only was Zeke still eating some baby food when we moved here (he was 16 months), but I haven't even STARTED potty training him! He seems to have no interest in it whatsoever, unless of course I am on the potty, then he's ALL up in the potty business! But if I sit him on the toilet before his bath, he cries, puts his arms up and says "Mama, hug!" He's not ready. But how do I NOT feel like a horrible mother who is headed straight for a 12-year-old in Pull Ups?! I'm sure I'll get over these guilty feelings eventually because really, he's just not ready. But these feelings will be replaced by more, when someone tells me that "Your Baby Can Read" has subliminal messages about world domination or John Lennon or something. GREAT. Zeke will be advanced in his reading skills AND be brainwashed? Awesome. I'm up for Mother of the Year, folks.

P.S. Yes, Zeke watches "Your Baby Can Read" and we LOVE it. Judge away, people!

4 comments:

Suburban Turmoil said...

Ha! Bruiser shows absolutely no interest in the potty and I haven't even bothered yet. I had a friend tell me that with her boys, she didn't even try until they were three and I remembered thinking that if I'd waited until Punky was three, it would have taken a few weeks instead of MONTHS, so three it is! Do what's right for you- Who cares what people think? :)

Alyson said...

Well, I am a self proclaimed slacker mom. I didn't even think about potty training my son until I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. So he was almost 3. My motivation? I didn't want 2 in diapers!! However, he trained super easy. My daughter? HAHAHAHAHA!!! If I waited til she showed some interest, I'd still be waiting (she's 6) But I didn't start anything until she was 3ish, probably closer to 3.5. She was NOT easy, and it was closer to 4 until she was completely trained. I know it is hard being a pastor's wife, and having everyone feel that you are entitled to their opinion. I just listened to them, and did what I wanted to do. He is your child, so who knows him best? Good luck!! And don't be in a hurry, they grow so fast anyway.

Sara A Broers said...

My boys are 18 & 14 and I can tell you the pressure was even big way back then! Both of my boys were "3"- and totally potty trained. It wasn't until they wanted to do it, not when "I" wanted them to do it! Nice blog, I'm also a new blog follower! Enjoy Blissdom- Congrats on your win!

Alicia said...

No comments about the potty, but I have the same problem with the 'Under Pressure' song. I thought I was the only one that did that!