Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Oh well.

Here's a tiny snapshot of my morning:

4:45 a.m.--wake up, stumble into bathroom to put workout clothes on. Contacts in. Brush teeth. Say goodbye to husband. Wait for him to mutter "bye honey, do good."

5:15 a.m.--out the door in plenty of time to drive like an 80-year-old so I don't hit a deer on our rural roads and arrive at the YMCA at 5:30.

6:00 a.m.--teach a rockin' full-body strength/toning class.

7:15 a.m.--finish teaching, chat with participants and head out,

7:30 a.m.--arrive back home.

7:30-8:45 a.m.--rush like a MAD WOMAN to shower, put on makeup, do my hair, chug a Carnation Instant Breakfast (anyone know if they want a representative for Blissdom? Cause I'd be a GREAT choice!!), feed Zeke, get him into his alone playtime so he can "go," change his diaper, change his clothes, and get out the door.

Why this huge rush, you ask? Baby Storytime, of course! Zeke loves story time, and so do I. I get quality time with him where I don't have to think about what to do, he gets to play with other kids, and I get to meet other moms. Which brings me to last week. I met an awesome "other mom." She had great hair, had her makeup done, cool clothes; in short, she and her little guy (about 8 months younger than Zeke) looked fabulous, and we seemed to have a lot in common. Of course last week, I had barely gotten a chance to shower, so my hair was dirty and I had very little makeup on. I may have smelled. A little. We walked to our cars together, and said "great! See you next week!" I'm going to be really honest with you--I have been looking forward to seeing this particular mom all week. She seemed so...fabulous! So...put together! Everything I want in a friend, and more! You see, today's rush was for her. I was determined to look and feel more put-together and "with it" than I was last time. I got to the library with plenty of time to spare, hoping our boys could play with the "choo choos" together before the official start time. I grabbed Zeke out of the car and said "Come on kid, Mommy needs this." Not really. Maybe. I'll never tell. All of a sudden, Miss Gina yells, "Ok, let's go into the story time room and get started!" WHAT?! Miss Gina, you must be mistaken; my new, awesome BFF isn't here yet! With a nervous glance around the children's section, I reluctantly went inside. SHE. NEVER. SHOWED. UP. And I was so disappointed. I totally could have stayed home OR gone to the later, 10:30 a.m. story time. Oh well.

Storytime and playgroups are like dating...and I guess she's just not that into me. *sigh*

5 comments:

Val Kelly said...

Chin up! She might show up next week or for all we know her son is sick. I can't imagine anyone not liking you!

Kristen said...

ha. i am so in the same shoes...i just posted about wanting mom friends last week.

Chitownmez said...

Um, hello...how could she NOT like you? There is not an unlikable bone in your body girl!

And seriously, what a great comparison! Dating and playgroups? Would never have thought of that!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

bahahahahaha....'just not that into you'. you've perfectly described my own efforts to make cool friends and how rejected i feel when it doesn't work out!

Rachel Boldman said...

I'm totally crossing my fingers she'll be there next week! :) I'm such a nerd.

Val and Yv, you rock and I love you both!

Rachel :)