Sunday, February 28, 2010

PostPartum Nightmares

First of all, I must give a huge shout-out and "Thank You" to the Discovery Channel for allowing me to preview their special, "PostPartum Nightmares" which airs Tuesday at 8pm (ET/PT) on Discovery Health. Check your local listings so you don't miss it. Then set your DVR. Then set a reminder on your iPhone to watch it. Then tell your husband to remind you. Then just go ahead and watch it.

If you've read my blog for any length of time, you probably know that I suffer (I hesitate to use the past tense on this one, because I don't know that I'm out of the woods just yet) from Postpartum Depression.

Every woman's experience with the....disease, disorder, THIEF, that PPD is, is absolutely different. Some women may feel mild symptoms and get over them quickly. I've heard women tell their stories and the conclusion sounds like this: "And then the cloud lifted and I felt normal again." Others are hit harder, in a deeper place, and require intense and intentional work to pull themselves out.

Discovery Health presents three stories in "Postpartum Nightmares," each one different, but each with a common theme--Postpartum Depression is a problem, and it hurts women at our core. We want and need to feel good about ourselves; to be confident, caring mothers and wives. And Postpartum Depression, quite honestly, ROBS us of having that need fulfilled.

There is an incredibly negative stigma around PPD. We are so ashamed to admit we need help, to admit that mothering is not as perfect as they portray on TV. Why, iff one in every eight women (or one in five, depending on who you ask) suffers from PPD, do up to 80%...wait, let's hold on just a teeny-tiny minute and let that one sink in. Ok we're back. EIGHTY PERCENT of women go undiagnosed and untreated.

I won't go into detail about these ladies' stories, because they are not mine to tell. They do a beautiful job of telling their own struggles, as do their husbands. I really appreciated peeking into the husbands' point of view. It's important that they be educated and aware of the risks, as well. The overarching message in this special is: There is hope. You may have to go to many lengths to find the treatment that works for you, but do not give up. For your child, yourself, and your family, do not give up.

Ladies, let's take off the mask. Let's show everyone our strength in overcoming this struggle. If you are suffering from PPD, please get help. If you want to talk, please feel free to email me. I would love to talk to you. But please see a doctor or a counselor; even a trusted friend. You're not alone, we are all here for you. You can get better. You WILL get better.

Here's my email: racheeb at gmail dot com

**Baby Week kicks off March 1 at 8:00 p.m. Eastern/Pacific Time on Discovery Health. There are some amazing specials on every night, including some about multiples, and one I hope to catch about "Extreme Parenting." Wahoo!! Click here for the whole line-up**

**I did not receive anything for writing this...just the privilege of pre-screening the show...which made me feel extremely special.**

1 comment:

AmyK said...

It looks like I've missed the special on Discovery Channel, but hopefully I can catch a repeat!

I too have suffered from PostPartum Depression, as well as other forms of depression. I admire your advocacy and work to help others know they are not alone!

Great job!

I would like to invite you to check out WEGO Health http://community.wegohealth.com/. It is a site for health activists such as yourself and a great place to meet others interested in similar topics/issues. You can find me there as AmyK!

You might recall who I am from the #mhsm chat on twitter and the Mental Health Social Media blog. =)