Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why I'm Moderately Okay With Obama's Healthcare Thingy

First and foremost, I would like to state the following, for the record:
**Am I super-dee-duper thrilled and ecstatic about Obama's plan? No. Like everything in life, it has drawbacks as well as advantages. Even cuddly puppies pee on the floor. Take that how you will.
**Do I believe that one political party has all the answers? No.
**That includes you, Republicans. Neither you NOR the Democrats, NOR the Independents, NOR the Green Party NOR the Tea Party NOR Ted Nugent have all the answers to any question or any dilemma facing the nation.

Now that all that is out of the way, we can begin.

I owe my OB/GYN in Missouri approximately $500.00. Not because I am currently or was at the time, pregnant. My visit was slightly related to some general post-pregnancy/post-large-baby issues of the female nature. Ladies, you know what I'm talking about. My initial visit, and subsequent visit for a diagnostic ultrasound, as well as exams during both visit, were for problems, not pregnancy.
Yes, we had insurance. It was very pricey insurance. We KNOWINGLY declined pregnancy coverage because of the cost it would incur my husband's employer. Since we were not planning on having a baby, we figured that made sense. However, we owe the OB/GYN in Missouri $500.00 because *drumroll please* my reproductive organs were not covered under our policy until after a waiting period, which ended twenty days after my visits...and of THAT, we were not informed.

Yeah. Did you know that having a uterus is a pre-existing condition? I didn't, but now I do. And now my husband is unemployed (but not for long--yay! But that doesn't matter because we're still stuck with the bill) and we owe the OB/GYN in Missouri $500.00.

Under Obama's new health care plan, people like us, people who find other insurance too pricey to get the coverage they need, will have options. Were the new plan already in place, we would probably have had Medicaid during the time of my OB/GYN visit because income restrictions would have been adjusted and we would have qualified. Before you pass judgment on those who are on "welfare," take a look at this: Oh yeah, him? He will be receiving Medicaid as soon as we can apply for it. Don't tell me he doesn't deserve it. There is nothing wrong with being on Medicaid. Medical care is expensive, and we all need it. Now we can all get it.

Yes, I know it's expensive to the American people as a whole, and I will never pretend to know the ins and outs of the budgetary ramifications of such a Bill as this. But what I do know is that I am okay with helping others out. Paying higher taxes so someone who wouldn't normally be able to afford insurance can do so is okay with me. If it's not okay with you, maybe you haven't taken a foster child to the dentist or doctor and used their Medicaid, thanking God the whole time that they are able to get medicine when they were sick. Or maybe you haven't ridden in the car with a homeless, HIV-positive mother who also has Ovarian and Cervical cancer and is receiving Chemotherapy thanks to Medicaid, which covered her reproductive organs without a waiting period. Maybe you SHOULD talk to some of those people and hear those stories. They need that public option.

I see President Obama's healthcare reform as "leveling the playing field," so to speak. If everyone has to have health insurance, then bigger companies will lower their costs and increase their options. More doctors will accept more plans, and more people will benefit. One of the sad realities of the Medicaid system, and I have seen it in the cases I mentioned above, is that many of the doctors who take Medicaid are NOT the best. Not that they aren't fine doctors, but perhaps a more specialized doctor could be found to treat a certain condition more quickly than another.

The point I'm making is that with this new healthcare reform, my $500.00 owed to the OB/GYN would not be an issue. I would have qualified for Medicaid or a lower-cost, better health care plan that included my uterus. And chances are, under the new plan there will be fewer restrictions such as "you must wait x-amount-of-time before your hoo-hoo has any problems."

So for me and all the other uteruses (uteri?) out there, just give it a chance. Open your mind beyond your party's lines and let's give President Obama a fighting chance with this thing. He is our President, and he deserves at LEAST our support, even if it's not enthusiastic. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to come up with $500.00.

Romans 13:1 (NLT)
"Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God.

Daniel 2:21 (NIV)
"It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men and knowledge to men of understanding.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Great post. Very nicely said.

Midnite592 said...

I am all for a plan that levels, or attempts to level, the health insurance playing field. Zeke deserves insurance (and so do you and Josh) and you all have worked to make sure there was always an option available to you. In theory, this plan will make premiums cheaper and expand coverage options. My problem with Medicaid is that too many people on it don't want to get a job or a better paying job and just want to float along on what everyone else is working to pay for. I used to see this a lot when I worked in pharmacy.

Jody said...

In theory the plan is nice. One you get past the theory, though, and into practice it begins to fall apart. The plan is too expensive; the numbers just don't work.

While many are calling this a leveling of the playing field as it plays out I'm afraid it won't be- and the ones who most need the help will still be screwed. Oh, as will those of us who are self employed and have paid for our own healthcare out of pocket for years. The plan really doesn't help us at all but is designed to make us rely on the government fully in about 6 years. I'm not thrilled.

Rachel Boldman said...

Yeah, there's no way I'm touching the "numbers" aspect of it. There's no way I could do it justice and fully understand and explain it. So these are just my initial thoughts. Surely it's not going to fix all our problems and by the time it takes effect who knows what situation my family will be in...so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm very interested in what other people feel about it. Like Erin, having worked in pharmacy, you have a different perspective because of where you're coming from. I love that.

My name is Anna said...

I agree very much with what you have said here. I appreciate you putting it into words because sometimes I feel like it is hard for me to do so. I hate how this issue is so divided among the party lines because it is so much bigger than that. The healthcare system now is so broken and something needs to be done. And you are right, no one has all the answers but at least Obama is acknowledging the need for reform and trying to make a change.

Also, as a Christian I want to help people who are suffering and if I have to sacrifice for that, then so be it. The opostition would say that we should be helping people on our own but obviously that is not enough.

I know that it won't be perfect but I try to think about the good aspects of the health care bill. I guess we'll see how it all unfolds.

Heagon83 said...

I went to High School with your husband, and found your blog a while back through his myspace page. I really liked your blog topics and found your opinions intriguing, so you made a follower out of me. Every week or so I check to see if you have something interesting to say, and while I love your blogs about Motherhood (you seem to read my mind) this was my favorite blog you have posted. I find it hard to relate to Christian women who think all things democratic are poison (including my mother), but you really took the words right out of my mouth. While I am blessed with healthcare because my husband is in the military, I see the need others have for suitable healthcare. After reading Mckmama's "Chicken" post today, I am so glad you wrote a post I can relate to. Kudos!

Rachel Boldman said...

I really liked MckMama's Chicken post--I think she made a great analogy. And I think it's awesome that I can read and comment on differing opinions on the internet. There aren't a whole lot of different opinions where I live :)

Thanks for commenting!