Tuesday, April 20, 2010

How did this happen???



How did you go from this...
To this...



To THIS?:

Dear Ezekiel,

I am ever amazed by you. Right now you are playing quietly with your "new" train set on our makeshift train table, grandma and grandpa's coffee table. You are discovering new things as I type. Every once in a while I will hear you shout, "Blue one train!," letting me know that you know the color of your new trains. You are SO smart.
Your obsession with trains has reached epic proportions. Yesterday you ran away from me at the park, only looking back to tell me that you heard a train in the distance. "Chooo Choooooo!" you shouted, breathless, with a look of sheer delight on your face.

Music is another love of yours, and you eagerly await the days we can go to a Mr. Richard show nearby. It helps if he's at a Chick-Fil-A. Yesterday you were invited to come up and play your new guitar with him, and you got nervous so you just wandered around. I think you walked away every time he looked at you. But I could tell you felt special. I felt special FOR you.

You can spot a playground a mile away, and can't wait to play on the toys. Yesterday you climbed on the big boy toy all by yourself. I looked over and there you were, feet completely off the ground: I could hardly believe my eyes.

As you embark on this new journey of "two," I remember the hard times we've faced, and how you have loved me through it all. As far as I know, you have not been affected by my nightmare. I thank God for that. I also thank God, in a way, for my Postpartum Depression. Because through it I have FOUGHT to love you. And I have won!
You are turning out to be an amazing little human being, with the funniest little quirks. Your daddy's sense of humor, your mommy's need to have everything....just SO. And the creativity. My goodness, the creativity.

So, baby boy, today I wish you a happy SECOND birthday! Right now I don't care if you suck your thumb forever. You are still my sweet baby boy. Your daddy and I love you always, no matter who you turn out to be.

Will you please leave a comment with a Happy Birthday wish for my baby? THANK YOU!

8 comments:

Chitownmez said...

Happy birthday Zeke! You're an amazing little kid with an amazing wonderful mommy who loves you!

Anne DiNapoli said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Ezekiel!! Your mommy wrote you such a sweet letter.
My daughter will be 2 next month. What a milestone! I hope you have a great day!!

musicow2 said...

Happy, happy birthday to Zeke!

Rachel, you and Josh are doing an AMAZING job as the best parents ever to that little boy.

I'm so proud of you; I admire and respect you as a wife and as a mother.

You're raising a great little boy!

My name is Anna said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Zeke! You are loved so much! We can't wait to see you grow into an amazing man.

Megan said...

Happy Birthday, little man! Blessings to you as you journey into 2!

Your Organizing Guru said...

Happy Birthday Zeke! We love you so much! We also love your mommy and daddy and are so proud of them (especially your mommy - because she had to fight so hard) for being such good parents to you.
~Julie

Amy said...

Happy Birthday, Big Boy! We hope to meet you someday! :)

He's precious - the little video made me smile. I can't believe our children are this big already!!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday, Zeke!!! How blessed you are to have such a great mommy! :)