Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ultimate Blog Party Like It's 1999

Ultimate Blog Party 2010


Hi! If you're here from the Ultimate Blog Party, thanks for stopping by! If you're not and you have no idea what the Ultimate Blog Party is, click on that text or on the button in my right-hand sidebar. So, whether or not you're here because of the par-tay, please stay for a little while and get to know me!

My name is Rachel. Nice to meet you!

I grew up in Southern California (Mission Viejo, to be exact) and then moved to the Orlando, Florida area when I was about 11 years old. My early life is fairly boring. Mission Viejo was a GREAT place to grow up, and I did so with very little incident.

Random Fact #1: With the exception of a recent period of 6 months (which you'll get to hear about later) I have never lived more than 30 minutes away from a Disney park.

My family has remained in Florida since then. School happened in Central Florida, too. I attended Stetson University for my undergraduate degree in Communication Studies, and am currently still a student there, pursuing my Master of Science degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

Random Fact #2: I went to Stetson on a music scholarship and ended up switching majors my freshman year, although I played piano and sang throughout my time there, to keep my scholarship. I even gave a (not-so-good) senior recital. I danced too, Ballet, until about four months before I had my son.

During my last undergraduate semester at Stetson, I was employed full-time as the Music Admissions Counselor. I left in 2006, shortly after I got married. Then I was a case manager for a social services agency until I had my son in 2008. Now, I'm a mom. And a group fitness instructor.

Random Fact #3: My husband Josh and I met, started dating, got engaged, and got married all within a year. Why so soon? We believe in an enormous God who wanted us to be married. So why would we wait?

I just moved back to my home town, in fact, my old HOME, with my parents, after being in Missouri for six months. Why only six months? Someday I'll be ready to talk about it more, but for now let's just leave it at that. If you hang around long enough you'll find I reference it because I am deep into the healing process from things that happened. But I do so in my own way. That's the power of blogging--it's a chance to have therapy on your own terms.

Random Fact #4: I am incredibly proud of my husband and all he has accomplished for his 25 years. Right now we are taking a break from full-time ministry, though he is an ordained pastor. We are growing A LOT.

So, why do I blog? That's probably what you're wondering.

I love to write. In High School I was a correspondent for our newspaper's youth section, and I loved it. I fancied myself a journalist, and constantly had my nose buried in a notebook, pen in hand. Actually, marker. I always wrote my stories with a lilac thin-tip Crayola marker. I was rad like that.

My blog is a mash-up of my life. Sometimes I write very directly, like I am right now--everything concrete. Sometimes I get a little bit poetic and vague because it protects the ones I love while giving me an outlet for the....junk. Most of the time there's a dash of humor SOMEWHERE in here.

I also do lots of fun things, like Operation KidConnect which is a really neat project I just launched using Hallmark cards to encourage the children in our lives. I also do some product reviews every once in a while. I'll be reviewing a Mrs. Prindable's apple soon...as soon as I can sink my teeth into it!!

You must be wondering, what's with the title--"Not Just A..."

Well aren't YOU "Not Just A...?"

I'm Not Just A....
wife
mother
academic
counselor
encourager
group fitness instructor
strong woman
"good girl"
Christian
advocate
.....and the list goes on.

I'm Not Just any of these, but all of them mix and mingle to make me.

What makes you YOU? Is it the things you are Not Just, or is it the things you Aren't Yet?

:) Something to ponder.

It was great to have you here! Please leave a comment so I know who you are and can visit your blog, too! I can't wait to get to know more people in this great community. What a party it's going to be!!!

***********************
Now down to business: I'm supposed to write about what prizes I'd like if I win anything from the random drawings going on during the Ultimate Blog Party.

My top 3 are:

USC 17: $200 gift card for Apple from CmomGo!
This is definitely my #1!!


USC 3: $50.00 Target GiftCard from Peggy Gorman

US76: Sentimental Sweethearts Necklace from Sentimental Silver

The other ones I'd like are:

US32

US107

USC15

US40

USC63

USC60

1 comment:

Pamela M. Kramer said...

usc 47
396
Hey Winner!
You need these numbers to complete the prize form on the prize page - http://www.5minutesformom.com/ultimate-blog-party-2010-prizes/