Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ultimate Blog Party Like It's 1999

Ultimate Blog Party 2010


Hi! If you're here from the Ultimate Blog Party, thanks for stopping by! If you're not and you have no idea what the Ultimate Blog Party is, click on that text or on the button in my right-hand sidebar. So, whether or not you're here because of the par-tay, please stay for a little while and get to know me!

My name is Rachel. Nice to meet you!

I grew up in Southern California (Mission Viejo, to be exact) and then moved to the Orlando, Florida area when I was about 11 years old. My early life is fairly boring. Mission Viejo was a GREAT place to grow up, and I did so with very little incident.

Random Fact #1: With the exception of a recent period of 6 months (which you'll get to hear about later) I have never lived more than 30 minutes away from a Disney park.

My family has remained in Florida since then. School happened in Central Florida, too. I attended Stetson University for my undergraduate degree in Communication Studies, and am currently still a student there, pursuing my Master of Science degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

Random Fact #2: I went to Stetson on a music scholarship and ended up switching majors my freshman year, although I played piano and sang throughout my time there, to keep my scholarship. I even gave a (not-so-good) senior recital. I danced too, Ballet, until about four months before I had my son.

During my last undergraduate semester at Stetson, I was employed full-time as the Music Admissions Counselor. I left in 2006, shortly after I got married. Then I was a case manager for a social services agency until I had my son in 2008. Now, I'm a mom. And a group fitness instructor.

Random Fact #3: My husband Josh and I met, started dating, got engaged, and got married all within a year. Why so soon? We believe in an enormous God who wanted us to be married. So why would we wait?

I just moved back to my home town, in fact, my old HOME, with my parents, after being in Missouri for six months. Why only six months? Someday I'll be ready to talk about it more, but for now let's just leave it at that. If you hang around long enough you'll find I reference it because I am deep into the healing process from things that happened. But I do so in my own way. That's the power of blogging--it's a chance to have therapy on your own terms.

Random Fact #4: I am incredibly proud of my husband and all he has accomplished for his 25 years. Right now we are taking a break from full-time ministry, though he is an ordained pastor. We are growing A LOT.

So, why do I blog? That's probably what you're wondering.

I love to write. In High School I was a correspondent for our newspaper's youth section, and I loved it. I fancied myself a journalist, and constantly had my nose buried in a notebook, pen in hand. Actually, marker. I always wrote my stories with a lilac thin-tip Crayola marker. I was rad like that.

My blog is a mash-up of my life. Sometimes I write very directly, like I am right now--everything concrete. Sometimes I get a little bit poetic and vague because it protects the ones I love while giving me an outlet for the....junk. Most of the time there's a dash of humor SOMEWHERE in here.

I also do lots of fun things, like Operation KidConnect which is a really neat project I just launched using Hallmark cards to encourage the children in our lives. I also do some product reviews every once in a while. I'll be reviewing a Mrs. Prindable's apple soon...as soon as I can sink my teeth into it!!

You must be wondering, what's with the title--"Not Just A..."

Well aren't YOU "Not Just A...?"

I'm Not Just A....
wife
mother
academic
counselor
encourager
group fitness instructor
strong woman
"good girl"
Christian
advocate
.....and the list goes on.

I'm Not Just any of these, but all of them mix and mingle to make me.

What makes you YOU? Is it the things you are Not Just, or is it the things you Aren't Yet?

:) Something to ponder.

It was great to have you here! Please leave a comment so I know who you are and can visit your blog, too! I can't wait to get to know more people in this great community. What a party it's going to be!!!

***********************
Now down to business: I'm supposed to write about what prizes I'd like if I win anything from the random drawings going on during the Ultimate Blog Party.

Holy Smokes there are a lot of prizes! I'm going to leave this part blank and edit it to add my list of prizes. I have until April 16th :)

27 comments:

Meg said...

Yippee for UBP! Love meeting new friends.

Like your blog name and idea behind it!

Megret

musicow2 said...

Did you really just use the word rad?

Wow. :)

Hey, there's some stuff in your post that I didn't even know!

Sandy said...

This is 'rad'.. whow have not heard that in a long time..lol
Following from UBP 10.. happy Day!!!!

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

Our God is awesome, huh? Have a great weekend!

I am Harriet said...

Hi there.
Stopping by via the Ultimate Blog Party to say hello.
Have a great day!
http://harrietandfriends.com/

Stacey said...

Visiting from UBP '10 from http://imalazymom.blogspot.com!

Soooo nice to "meet" you!

Trish said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog - great to party with you! I am totally with you on the "not just a..." concept. I hope things go well as you and your hubby see what's coming next for you.

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

You've had quite a busy life.

I knew within 2 weeks that my husband and I would get married. It took 4 years. We should have just gotten married like you.

Rad is an awesome word!

Waving from So Cal. Husband is at Disneyland with Angry Kid today. :)

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Hi! I'm visiting from the UBP 10! Hope to see you at mine!

Party Post

Dayngr said...

I've got my Ultimate Blog Party 2010 post up at Dayngrous Discourse. Plus, I've got my first giveaway too. I hope you'll surf on over and say hello.

frugalfanatic said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your blog looks very interesting! I'll definitely be back! Enjoy the UBP!!

Sela said...

Love your party post, gave a great glimpse into your life :)
Stopping by from the party to say hi!
Come visit me if you get a chance at <a href="http://selaandfamily.blogspot.com>The Youngn's</a>
Gonna go look around now... :)

Xenia said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my party! I love the concept of your blog, you're definitely right that everyone is Not Just A...

Happy UBP!

Ashley said...

I’m a homeschooling SAHM mom of two littles (3 & 1.5). I’m a born-again Christian, and I’m currently working on my MA in Ministry. I’m not your typical “mommy blogger”, but I enjoy reading mommy blogs just the same.

Happy UBP!

Monique said...

Hi Rachel! Nice to meet you! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm actually in New Smyrna about an hour from Orlando. To this day, I enjoy writing with a pink pen haha... There is no words for how I felt when I read your post called "THIS". Unreal and so touching!!! Happy blog-hopping!
Cheers ❀

Blog: www.homesweetflorida.blogspot.com
Twitter: hockey_wife
Mr Linky: #879

Erin @ Closing Time said...

Hi Rachel! I just found your blog for the first time via the UBP! I look forward to reading more of your blog!

Dayngr said...

Hi there. Dropping by to toss confetti, pull up a virtual chair and party with you. Let's have some fun!

Rachel Boldman said...

Rad is a totally rad word! :)

donna_m_webb said...

Hi Rachael! Saw your UBP tweet so I'm popping in to say hi! Rad huh, and what decade was that from?? Can't recall! lol Have fun partying!

http://bearhugwaltz.blogspot.com/2010/04/welcome-ultimate-party-bloggers-of-2010.html

oursafehaven said...

Hi! Stopping by from the UBP. Nice to meet you!

motherlylaw said...

Hi, Thanks for stopping by www.motherlylaw.com! Great site! I am intrigued by the 6 mo in MO comment. It sounds like I will have to keep coming back to hear more :)
Thanks, Anna from www.motherlylaw.com

KarmaPearl said...

Thank you for stopping by my UBP post. My husband's name is Josh too (as you saw from the post!)

Brittany Ciara said...

I love your blog name, it's so creative! :) It was nice getting to "meet" you. I noticed you didn't have a "blog design" up... how would you like one... Free! Courtesy of me. I designed my own and a couple others and would love to share the love. Just email me: sheetsbc{at}gmail{dot}com if you are interested! :) Happy Partying!!

Brittany Ciara @
www.notyouraverageteen.com

Charla said...

Thanks for stopping by Healthy Home Blog. I'm Charla and a Christian wife, mother, grandmother (of the most adorable little boys ages 2 & almost 1), substitute teacher/used to be teacher/hope to be teacher again soon. I agree with Melissa...our God is awesome! He is my joy and my strength!

InspiredGifts.com said...

Hi there! Nice to meet you. I'm new to the party myself. I love your random facts. My sister went to Stetson in the 90's.

I hope you can stop by our blog: http://inspiredgiftsblog.blogspot.com
Inspiredgifts.com is a mom owned newly launched site.

Have a beautiful day
Rebecca

Cascia said...

Just stopping by from the UBP at Five Minutes for Mom. You have a great site. I would love it if you visited my blog and left me a comment! I'm looking forward to reading more and getting to know you better.

Cascia
The Healthy Moms
http://www.thehealthymoms.net/2010/04/welcome-to-healthy-moms-blog-party.html

Michelle said...

Hi Rachel,
I am visiting from UBP 2010.
It's nice to meet you.
Living so close to Disney, are/were you able to get special passes?