Monday, May 24, 2010

6:8

Micah 6:8
He has showed you, O Man, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

I need to level with you really quick. I've been disturbed by many people's Facebook status updates, as of late. Such updates never used to affect me, because I didn't put much faith in them. I guess I just never took them seriously, because I figured that you can say ANYTHING on Facebook or Instant Messenger (oooh, remember away messages?!! wow.) and it wasn't necessarily what you were REALLY thinking. But now, with the rise of social media, blogging, and the like, Facebook is the new phone call. This is how we find out how each other is (are?) thinking and feeling. People we wouldn't normally wonder, or care about, let alone solicit opinions from, we are now reading their every thought. And, "...out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." So your heart overflows what's in it, into your speech, or online, out your fingers through the keyboard and blasts itself onto the internet.

What's coming out of YOUR heart?

What do your political affiliations say about you? I'm not talking Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, or Ted Nugent. I'm talking about what you believe about what is going on in this country, no not just this country, the WORLD. Out of the overflow of your heart, your mouth speaks. So does your heart respect the leadership that God has allowed over this country? Don't tell me, "Oh, I love *insert political leader here* but MAN they're screwing things up" and on and on and on. I don't think that counts. Why?

Because the Lord REQUIRES some things of us:
That we ACT JUSTLY
That we LOVE MERCY
That we WALK HUMBLY with OUR God.

You are required to act justly and stand up for those who are being mistreated. This includes illegal immigrants. It also includes the homeless, the orphans, and the widows. Even if they're drug addicts and prostitutes. Out of your mouth, you should be speaking justice. Not justice according to some law or bill or possible law or bill, but justice according to the Lord.

You are required to love mercy and rejoice when others are shown mercy, and show some mercy yourself, while you're at it. So cut our world leaders some slack, why don't you? Shore them up with prayer and support because they're doing their job....which leads me to our next requirement:

You are required to walk humbly with our God. You were not appointed as a leader of nations for a reason. If God chooses to appoint you at some time, then lucky you. But right now, he didn't. So walk humbly with the God of EVERYONE. The God of nations, the God of you, me, him, her, and all those people you don't like in the White House, or Arizona, or whatever.

I understand that Government is getting bigger and a lot of people don't like it. I'm not too thrilled about it myself, but you know what? That's what's happening. To fight against it in such a way that does not bring ANY glory to God WHATSOEVER is to go directly against all of these requirements.

If you believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant word of God, then you don't get to pick what's true and what's not. It is all true. So not only must you live up to these requirements, you must also believe that God ordains all authority. I personally believe that God ordains the positions of authority, and I'm not sure about the individual people. I'll ask Jesus about it when I get to heaven. But I know for a fact that if the Lord ordained that there be certain positions in government, that we should respect the positions and their authority over us.

The challenge of these requirements is to view justice, mercy, and humility on God's terms. I'm not saying you should blindly follow anyone, INCLUDING God. But remember that your fingers type the overflow of your heart. Your biting, scathing opinions about world matters can be hurtful and disrespectful to the Lord and His reputation. But He can change your heart. And out of your fingers will flow justice, mercy, and humility, regardless of how much you dislike our government, or anyone else's, for that matter.

Peace.

5 comments:

Chitownmez said...

I just got finished watching Lost and this was the first thing I read after. Made me cry (again). Very nice work =)

Heather said...

Amen! This is something I constantly need reminding of and can always do a better job of. Thanks for your inspired words, Rach. VERY well said. :)

Amy Prikazsky said...

So true…I’m glad I read your blog today because I needed to read this

My name is Anna said...

Wow, I think the exact same thing so often. It kills me when Christians (or anyone) uses Facebook to air their political complaints or their complaints in general. I make a conscious effort in my life to try to be a positive, uplifting person so why wouldn't I do the same thing on FB? Sometimes I think people really don't fathom the impact their words can have, especially online. Thanks for this post!

Rachel Boldman said...

Thanks, friends!!!

Love to you all.