Thursday, June 17, 2010

Healing.

I heard somewhere (maybe it was in a book, which would mean I read it...or maybe it was our pastor who said it in a sermon) that you know you're healing from a hurt when you can pray for the person who hurt you:

When you no longer wish that harm befall him/her...

When something about that person causes you concern...

When you can honestly go to the Lord and pray for that person...

This week I had a very humbling experience. My heart broke for someone who broke mine. I found out that a certain person who was once in my life is having treatment for something that medically, was thought to be resolved.

Honestly, I was surprised when tears welled up in my eyes as I read what was going on. Before I could process what was happening, I had already begun praying for the person. I actually stopped myself and thought, "What the **** am I doing?!" For the next few minutes I fought it. HARD. But eventually God got the best of me and I gave in. It was time to take yet another step toward letting go. So I prayed. And I've prayed every time I've thought of it since.

If that person, or anyone who knows that person, is reading this, I just want you to know that you and your whole family are in my prayers. I am concerned and worried and my heart hurts for you. In praying for you, I was also led to pray for my own forgiveness for the sin of my bitterness. So thank you.

It's not much, and I'm still on the mend, but it's a start. And it feels really good to let go of just a little bit more.

But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
--Matthew 5:44-45

No comments: