Friday, September 17, 2010

The Hardest Job I Have Ever Done....

....was most definitely NOT "Stay At Home Mom"

I hear the gasps from the mom-blogosphere. I hear the gnashing of teeth, the screeching, I even hear the finger pointing (yes, I can hear fingers pointing) and screams of "TRAITOR!"

I'm about to lose my mom-card for it, but I don't take that statement back. I'm dead serious. Being a stay at home mom was CAKE compared to what I'm going through right now, and y'all know how much I love cake.

Yes, I know, being a stay-at-home mom is a challenge, to say the least. Remember, I was there once. And it was bliss. Wonderful, blissful...bliss. Only I didn't realize it at the time. My friend Erin's post about loving her relaxed schedule reminded me how challenging being a stay-at-home mom is, AND how much I miss it, as well as making me realize that what I'm doing right now is infinitely harder.

Would you like a peek into my day? You don't care? Oh well, I want to show you. It's time to peel back the curtain on a day in the life of A WORKING MOM, the hardest job I have EVER had:
4:30 a.m.: Wake up, get ready to go to the gym. Since I don't stay home anymore, I can't go during the day, and the evening is out because I've got a 2 year old to take care of and dinner to "cook" (if you count Hamburger Helper as cooking)

5:00 a.m.: I'm at the gym, running or doing some other hellish thing.

5:30 a.m.: I'm in a class, either spinning or BodyPump.

6:00 a.m.: I leave the class early. I hate doing that, but I've got to shower and get ready for the day in the locker room. I have to be back home by....

6:30 a.m.: Run in the door, where my husband has already woken up our son. Zeke is sitting at the table with messy hair, sleepy eyes, and is downing a cereal bar.

6:45 a.m.: Leave the house

6:55 a.m.: Drop Zeke off at Day Care. He loves it there, and he gets his full breakfast once he arrives. Don't get your undies in a bunch, he eats more than a cereal bar.

7:00 a.m.: Back on the road, on our way to downtown Orlando.

7:30 a.m.: Drop my husband off at work

7:45 a.m.: Arrive at my "work," which is actually an internship that I don't get paid for, but love with every fiber of my being.

8:30 a.m.: Morning meeting. After this meeting, the day "officially" gets started for me.

2:00-4:00 p.m.: Finish for the day. After I finish, I can do errands around downtown or the nearby area, but I have to stay around the general vicinity. Sometimes I go to Panera and work on school stuff, but most often, I just end up staying and working until...

5:30 p.m.: Pick up Josh at his job

5:35 p.m.: Back on the road

6:05 p.m.: Pick Zeke up at day care and toss him (gently) in the car

6:15 p.m.: Arrive at home.

Here's where it varies. On NORMAL days, this is how it goes:
6:20 p.m.: Start cooking dinner

6:45 p.m.: Eat dinner with the slowest-eating toddler on the planet

7:20 p.m.: Brush Zeke's teeth, get his pajamas on, or if he's lucky, give him a bath

7:30 p.m.: Zeke in bed

AFTER 7:30 p.m.: Do dishes, laundry, clean, make lunches for the next day.

On days where I HAVE CLASS, this is how it goes:
6:15 p.m.: Drop Zeke and Josh off in the driveway and peel out onto the interstate.

7:00 p.m.: Arrive in Deland, FL for my class.

9:00 p.m.: Class is over

9:45 p.m.: Arrive home, do dishes, laundry, clean, make lunches for the next day.

So there you have it. I will not be one of THOSE mom bloggers and sigh and say in a sweet voice, "I wouldn't trade it for the world" or anything lame like that. Because, the truth is, I WOULD trade it. I would trade it for lots of things (except my internship, because I really like that except for the "for free" part). Would you like to make an offer?

My schedule is crazy, and I am exhausted. You?

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Heh. Yep.

4:30AM - up to work out, then shower and get dressed.

7:00AM - leave for work, hopefully get to see my daughter if she's up or if not, hope that I get text pictures of her.

6:30PM - get home. Have dinner. Clean up from dinner.

8:00PM - bed for the baby, laundry after or maybe getting on my computer before attempting to go to bed at a decent hour since I'm up at 4:30AM every day.

Oh how I wish I could be a stay-at-home-mom. I do wish it.

Rachel Boldman said...

I knew you'd understand!!!

Rachel Boldman said...

When are we going to stop calling our kids "baby"? Cause I call Zeke "the baby" still! He's like, 3 and 1/2 feet tall and says full sentences.

Cboldwoman said...

I've done both - I spent 10 years at home with 4 kids, then another 10 as a "working mom." And in my opinion, either way, being a mom is the hardest job I EVER did.

Kim Moldofsky said...

You are a busy mama, working hard and doing what it takes to keep her family going.

Rachel Boldman said...

Aunt Carol, yes there really is not another job like "mom" in all the world. The multi-tasking alone would make most grown men's heads spin!

Kim,
It's nice to "see" you! And...thanks :)